Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Trim Down OpenACS 4.0

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
What bothers me is what bothers Don too.

Each module seem to use the core API differently.  Its nice to have flexibility but they do have their own strokes.  Some even roll their own stuff.  There are also some packages that are acs_objects happy.  I think some of the tables that these packages should not use the acs_objects table anymore.  The acs_objects is already big so maybe we find some tables that does not need to have an acs_objects entry.  On one of our sites in just 2 months use we have already around 20,000 rows on it or maybe bigger.... hehehe.  Still some modules use their own templates.  Some modules use this API, some use another API, still some create their own API that is essentially what is already done on the core API.  Still some use their own permission that is essentially the same as the generic read, write, admin.

This is a general impression that I got after developing for a couple of months with OpenACS 4 with different sites and modules.  So I am gathering some opinion and voicing out my opinion that we should do trimming first before adding major stuff.  The existing one is feature rich as it is although there are a lot of stuff to add.  But in my opinion in the long run trimming it down or reviewing it will be more beneficial than adding and adding more features to it.
My opinion is to trim and review things before adding stuff.  Boring but I think after this boring phase things will be exciting again.  I vote for the boring phase for the next release.  I will help even though its boring.  I am kinda used to the CR now.