Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Serving up OpenACS from home

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
I keep looking at the wireless prices and CAT5 prices and, like Jerry, running more CAT5 cable.  Obviously how much of a pain this is depends heavily on your house.  I'd like to highly recommend the use of cold air return vents for those of us who have them as a way to get wire to many places in the house without having to put tooo many holes in the walls.  My last cable run (getting access for the Audrey in the kitchen) took me from an internal wall (upstairs), up into the attic, into a cold air return vent and all the way down to another air vent on the floor of the ground floor, at which point i just had to run the cable through a small drill hole, into the crawl space, across the house, and up into the wall next to the Audrey.  It was a pain, but in the end (once I figured out where the wire was going to run) it only took about 1 1/2 hours, and I only had to drill 3 holes.  (I picked up another phone jack in the process, too.)  Cold air return vents are your friends if you need to go from one floor to another. :)

Blah, okay, I've rambled on long enough, sorry.  Just wanted to mention how useful those air vents are...