Forum OpenACS Development: Translation server for oacs 5.2?

Hello!

What about a translation server for oacs 5.2?
We have translated several incomplete packages
and we want to upload it.

Thanks,
Agustin

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Just set it up on your own. Then change the translation server parameter in acs-lang (actually I think it is still hardcoded in the code, you might want to fix this first) to point to your server. Commit it and everyone is happy (as you can download messages from translation server). I'm actually thinking about doing this for HEAD.

Once we have multiple translation servers in place we will hopefully feel the burden of integrating these servers (I actually have a couple of ideas on how to do this, but the grant under which this development would have fallen under has not been approved, so we don't have time to develop it).

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
Malte,
I don't think it's a good idea to administer 359 translators' accounts on multiple sites throughout the world.
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Multiple Translation Servers do not mean that you would have a translation account on each of them. I'm not even sure that you should have to have an account on each of the servers but on the one running the current version of your code.

Furthermore the translation servers should inherit message keys (5.2 from 5.1 and HEAD from 5.2 and so on). But this might proove more hassle than it's worth.

Anyway, in addition to multiple languages we have to deal with multiple versions of the code and while we can have multiple languages on one server, this won't work with code.

But we could have dedicated translation servers for languages as well (why not make it really "difficult" right from the beginning 😊)

E.g. we could decide to provide a translation server for German that has considerably more packages installed than the "official" version at translate.openacs.org. Actually I think we already do (demo.cognovis.de acts as an translation server that retrieves message keys from translate.openacs.org).