Forum OpenACS Q&A: What should I be doing differently?

1. Install blank OpenACS 5.5.1
  2. Install Layout-Manager service and restart server
  3. Install Layout-Managed-Subsites service and restart server
  4. Try to Install Layout-Subsite-Integration package......

...and......

[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: apm_invoke_callback_proc: invoking callback after-install with command layout_subsite_integration::install::after_install 
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: Querying 'begin transaction;'
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: Ns_PgExec: Entering transaction
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ratetrack): 'begin transaction'
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: Querying '
      insert into layout_includelets
        (name, title, application, template, initializer, uninitializer, required_privilege,
         description, dotlrn_compat_p, internally_managed_p, singleton_p)
      values
        ('layout_admin_includelet', 'Layout Administration', 'layout-subsite-integration', '/packages/layout-subsite-integration/lib/layout-admin-includelet', NULL, NULL, 'admin',
         'Layout Administration', 'f', 'f', 't');'
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Error: Ns_PgExec: result status: 7 message: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "l_includelets_name_pk"

[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Error: dbinit: error(localhost::ratetrack,ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "l_includelets_name_pk"
): '
      insert into layout_includelets
        (name, title, application, template, initializer, uninitializer, required_privilege,
         description, dotlrn_compat_p, internally_managed_p, singleton_p)
      values
        ('layout_admin_includelet', 'Layout Administration', 'layout-subsite-integration', '/packages/layout-subsite-integration/lib/layout-admin-includelet', NULL, NULL, 'admin',
         'Layout Administration', 'f', 'f', 't')
    '
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: Querying 'abort transaction;'
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: Ns_PgExec: Rolling back transaction
[28/Sep/2009:13:29:56][6231.98311][-default:0-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ratetrack): 'abort transaction'

...from the db...

name           |         title         |         description          |                           template                           | dotlrn_compat_p | initializer | uninitializer | required_privilege |      application       | internally_managed_p | singleton_p
-------------------------+-----------------------+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------+-------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------------+----------------------+-------------
 layout_admin_includelet | Layout Administration | Layout Administration        | /packages/layout-managed-subsite/lib/layout-admin-includelet | f               |             |               | admin              | layout-managed-subsite | f                    | t
 subsites_includelet     | Subsites              | Display Subsites             | /packages/acs-subsite/lib/subsites                           | f               |             |               | read               | layout-managed-subsite | f                    | t
 applications_includelet | Applications          | Display Subsite Applications | /packages/acs-subsite/lib/applications                       | f               |             |               | read               | layout-managed-subsite | f                    | t
(3 rows)

R.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Don't install layout subsite integration.

I believe that is not required with the new layout-managed-subsite package.

Hopefully Don can comment also.

Collapse
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
I found my own remarks regarding my first installation and yes, don't install layout-subsite-integration.

• install the includelet's base applications (in my case faq, news and xowiki)
• install openacs-default-theme, layout-manager, faq-includelet, news-includelet, layout-managed-subsite, file-storage-includelet
• restart aolserver
• from the /admin page click on 'Convert to descendent subsite type' and submit
• from the /admin/layouts page register the includelets and configurare the layout
• choose plain navigation!
• set the DefaultMaster parameter to /packages/layout-managed-subsite/lib/plain-master

Hope this helps.

Collapse
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
I forgot to mention that I had to modify the file
/packages/layout-managed-subsite/lib/configure-subsite-integration.tcl
35c35
< 1 {subsite::set_theme -theme default_plain}
---
1 {subsite::set_theme -theme layout_managed_subsite_plain}

Cheers,
Claudio

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I should remove layout-subsite-integration from CVS.

Richard, the history here is that after writing layout-subsite-integration, I got some funding from MGH to add the "package extension" feature to OpenACS 5.5.0.

This allows a much better integration of related packages into a holistic new package. layout-managed-subsite extends both acs-subsite and layout-manager (think of package extension as being a primitive kind of inheritance, including multiple inheritance).

This made layout-subsite-integration obsolete.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Looks like I forgot to define the plain one ... or perhaps decided it wasn't necessary then forgot to change the configuration script.

Thanks, claudio, I'll straighten this out.

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Brilliant guys, thank you very much. I am just on my way through the fourth attempt and was going to try leaving Layout-Subsite-Integration out this time! 😊 Now I can make that code ammendment before continuing.

I have noticed that the xowiki includelet appears in the dropdown list of mountable applications even though it install as a service. Is that correct?

R.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK the layout_managed_subsite_plain master is now set up and available when you install.

The only difference between it and the normal plain master is that when you navigate to an application, it will wrap it in the default page theme for the layout managed subsite. This gives a more consistent appearance.

Oh, and apparently I removed layout-subsite-integration from our CVS tree some time ago. Someone didn't update -P or otherwise was using an old checkout ... :)

Keep reporting bugs as you find them!

Collapse
Thank you Don. I'll roll it again now.

Incidentally, this somebody installed from the tarball on openacs.org(!), so does that mean that it was produced prior to the module being removed from CVS?

Regards
RIchard

Collapse
I now have the Layout-Manager working. Wow! What a great piece of work. Really exciting development.

I have set the display to the Layout-Managed-Subsite-Tabbed. Now in its own right this is superb, and I can really see the potential for flexibility of format once you start customising the CSS.

I notice that the XoWiki included index page does not respect the embedded xowiki column defs as it usually does. Is that expected behavior? All my elements on the xowiki index page are left aligned and full width.

Also, I am experimenting with arranging a page with two columns and four includelets, but this seems to be escaping me at the moment. I was expecting to see something like the 'news' and 'latest posts' boxes on the OpenACS.org site.

R.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Oh, maybe it's lingering in the OpenACS web-accessible repository even though it no longer exists?

Hmmm ...

Is that how you guys downloaded it?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Theming's reasonably simple now.

Here's mine - http://donbaccus.com/ - you won't see much because all the good stuff is limited to clients I'm working with but you'll see a hint.

Here's another one:

http://learningcenter.lta.org/register/?return%5furl=%2fltalrn%2findex

Where again you won't be able to see much due to the fact that it's an intranet.

But those navigatino tabs, the banner, footer, etc are all generated by a theme package for the site.

Collapse
Yes, they look really good, and to be able to achieve that without having customise is a huge plus.

I wondered how you'd brought the login form forward, and then I saw the default page was register/index. What a good idea.

R.