Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Groups API Question

Collapse
Posted by Radam Batnag on

I forgot to add to my previous post: I'm using Jonathan Mardsen's OpenACS 4 RPMs, which seem to be based on a Jan. 14, 2002 CVS snapshot. Red Hat 7.1, PostgreSQL 7.1.3. AOLServer 3.3 + ad13.

And maybe I need to clarify my original post.

Nope, making a free section a component of a block section won't work. Let me restate Requirement #2 above: A user U who joins a free section F which is a component of block section B but does not explicitly join B should not be made a member of B.

However, according to the ACS documentation (Part 6, ACS Groups Requirements, of the ACS 4 Kernel Documentation):

50.0 Membership

A party P is a member of group G

- when a direct membership exists between P and G
- or when there exists a direct membership relationship between P and
  some group Gc and Gc has a composition relationship with G

So the fairly obvious way of using component groups will not work.

Another fairly obvious solution is to create my own user-group mapping, which I do not want to do. My hunch is that the problem I face is a common one, and either:

1. veterans in the community have implemented relationship mappings similar to the one I'm trying to create using the Groups API, and I just don't understand the API enough, or
  2. the Groups API lacks the support for these kinds of relationships, which means we have some more work to do...

I think #1 is more probable than #2, which is why I asked first instead of going directly to add code and salt and pepper...