Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Copy of original DPS templating system?

Collapse
Posted by Cynthia Kiser on
Thanks Michael. What you uploaded is not the full DPS - but it is the part that I was missing. Thanks ever so much. (Note to self: QUIT editing the CVS repository!!!. You WILL regret it.) I put Michael's tcl files into my tcl directory and the templating stuff works. I have not installed the site map and other data models to test them out. But for any other DPS fans out there, I have tarred up what I hope is the full DPS and uploaded it to https://openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file.tcl?file_id=311

Walter, I am looking into different CMS solutions. I was looking into Edit-this-page (or mod-etp) but would be interested in having a look at the older aD CMS. How about uploading one of your tar balls to file-storage here (in case other folks want to look at it too).

And to answer your DPS/ATS question - the most obvious differences were syntax. The DPS used .data pages written in XML and custom tags in the adp with the form <var name=XXX>. The ATS used .tcl pages to build the datasources and the variables were referenced in the adp page like @varname@. The ATS was more efficient - both because it did not do so much DOM walking, and because it had more sophisticated caching. I have a lot of experience with the ACS 3.4.10 DPS and fairly minimal exposure to the ACS 4.2 ATS (what I wanted from it worked right out of the box), so if you want help with it, email me. We can sort it out and then post back to this thread what the "gottcha" was.