Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Contacts 1.0d and AMS 1.0d Todo List

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I learned something new (aka 1.0d is followed by 1.0d2 and so on.), cool.

You'd normally integrate any functionality from third party packages by writing a callback and using application links to mark that this instance of the tasks package feeds data into that instance of contacts. This callback could e.g. set the master-template variable accordingly. Furthermore, if you work with includes, you could create a multirow that is extended by callbacks. The multirow would contain the src of the include and any parameters to be passed along. Though it would be even better if callbacks would work directly in the ADP pages.

This works similar to the idea of Container Items that P/O is using, though the callback approach is more flexible and does not rely on DB statements. You could find a similar concept as well in the portal package(s), though the idea is different.

To sum it up, the method you suggest is the easiest one to implement, though not flexible enough to my liking. What you should do at least is create a callback to set the templates , but maybe I'm just too much into callbacks nowadays :).