Forum OpenACS Q&A: Anyone got a SOAP solution they are happy with?

Does anyone have a SOAP solution for AOLserver that they are happy
with. I don't need anything very high performance for now, just
something that can make and handle a basic method call request.
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Henry,

A friend of mine uses ns_xmlrpc for a heavily banged site.  It seems to work.  Its use to send and recieve SMS to cell phones.  Not really SOAP but close =)

Has anyone used the stuff from the nssoap project? They have
some code, but I can't tell if anyone is actively developing
it, or if it works at all.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Henry,

I have looked at the code, and have fixed a couple of problems in the C AOLserver modules needed for NSSoap, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

I have been in contact with Lee Teague about is, but I need to follow up more.

The TclSOAP project is the foundation of NSSoap along with nsexpat, and aolserver wrapper to the expat parser and nstcldom, a C version for aolserver of TclDOM.

I was about to put the finishing touches on a project proposal that would use AOLServer (but not OpenACS) along with TclSOAP, and then I discovered this thread.

My client claims that they need very high performance, although I'm skeptical of their need for such performance.  I sorta figured that I would simply do an ns_register_proc with procs I write with TclSOAP, and that things would work just fine.

Am I crazy for trying this approach?  Should I try nssoap instead?  I just checked out the latest nssoap sources, and they look reasonable, even if they haven't been touched in a few months.  Should I be wary?

I was convinced that this would be a pretty simple project, but previous comments in this thread are getting me increasingly worried.