Forum OpenACS Q&A: Plaese Help, I cant see the first page!

Hi,
I installed AOlserver and Openacs successfuly on the linux mashine 
(suse). Every thing seems to work correcctly (I checked the aol-log, 
no errors, only notifications about initilizing stuff from 
openacs...). But if I go to the Url: http://www.myside.de:8000 (this 
is the port I put it in) then not pages is found!!! 
I m wonderung if someona can provide me with hint to run openacs, I 
need it very urgently!!! Many thanks in advance.

Collapse
Posted by H. shefaat on
 Update
So I found follwing strange thing: 
The dual view is created with one entry. But if I make a select of this table I get the error message:
PostgreSQL said: ERROR: parse error at or near " " Your query: SELECT * FROM "dual" LIMIT 1
Any idea? Thanks PS I checked the file after creating the data model; there is no error there.
Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
Max, you don't want to put the quotation marks around the name of your table. You're SQL statement should look like this:
SELECT * FROM dual LIMIT 1
If that doesn't work, then post back here because there is indeed something wrong.

As for reaching the server through your browser, my first thought is to make sure that the server is in fact listening on that port (8000). You can use the command:
netstat -na | more
to see a list of the services and the ports they are assigned to. Assuming you see the server listening on 8000, the other thing I would look at is your DNS. You can try accessing the box by typing in the IP address instead of the domain name:
http://192.168.1.1:8000 (substituting your IP address)
Or if you you're using a browser on the same box, you can try accessing it as localhost:
http://localhost:8000

If you recently created or changed a DNS entry, it can take a while (up to a couple of days) to propagate throughout the DNS system and consistently point to the new IP address.

If those things check out, post back here with a more specific description of what happens in your browser when you try to hit the server. Do you get a page not found (404) error? Or are you getting a server error? Or something else?

Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
Just closing a bold tag left open from above (closing tag was missing a "/").
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
You can also try telneting to that port, and see if you connect to anything.
Collapse
Posted by H. shefaat on
Thank you for respondig! 1)Because I try to install on the remote mashine I use the phpPgAdmin for manipulating the db. So normaly everything (so I checke for lot of tables and views) seems to work but not the select for dual (afte I dropes the db and reload again) 2)Port 8000: I checked it and the server was listening (so i saw the same thing in the aolserver-log and netstat under linux). I also used the Ip address. I have some webapps runing at this mashine so it is definitly not the IP adress or DNS. 3)I got the server error 404 ----------- But after all this check I guss the problem is the pgdriver of aolserver. I used an old pgdriver what I didn't know if it is from openacs or from aolsever. So I tried to compile the scr (2.0.1)but without success then my make version seems to have a bug as I found in web. The last thing I must check is wether the pgdriver will remove the problem. Have anyone a binary version of this driver or an URL. It would be great!
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
you will have to edit the makefile to point it to the appropriate directories on your system but that's usually pretty straightforward

what errors are you getting?