Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to How to test Jerry's nsvhr/nsunix virtual hosting on development box?

As mention in my howto, I recommend that you start first with an AOL approved nsvhr/nssock setup before attempting the Salchow.  That's what Brian Boitano would do.

Nsvhr/nssock will take you 95% of the way there and you won't encounter any of the weirdities involving unix domain sockets and where the unix domain socket is placed in the directory, or any of that other crap required to configure the damn thing.  It's probably fast enough for your needs for quite a while, and it gives you a fallback position to take anytime you think my dubious patches are more dubious than usual.

That fallback position is a valuable thing to have, or rather it's a valuable thing for me if you have it.  It lets you differentiate bugs I've introduced into your system from bugs you introduced into your system and thus lets me get on with work of creating more GPLed bugs.

Tonight on Chin Wag, Theater Daniel Pinkwater said that it is just a myth that a polar bear's white fur acts like fiber optics in directing/trapping/channeling solar energy.  It's now been measured and it isn't true.  And underneath that white fur is black skin.  Go figure.