Forum OpenACS Development: Latest Versions of Packages missing upgrade scripts

I have recently tried testing the upgrade process on some of the packages from oacs-5-1 to the latest versions. Whilst I haven't checked every package here are some packages where the upgrade scripts are missing for one or other of the databases. I certainly will look at translating Oracle to PostgreSQL where this has not yet been done but to avoid duplicating work maybe we could extablish here whether any of these scripts already exist but are simply missing.

ETP - Oracle to 1.7, Postgres only to 1.6
Bulk Mail - Oracle to 0.5.1d2, Postgres only to 1.4
Events - Oracle to 0.1d3, Postgres no upgrade at all
Organizations - Postgres no upgrade prior to 0.3d, upgrade 0.5d2, Oracle no upgrades since 0.2d
Project Manager - Postgres to 2.8d1, Oracle no upgrade at all
RSS-Support - Postgres to 0.3d6, Oracle only to 0.3d2
Search - Postgres to 4.5.1, Oracle no upgrade.
ACS-content-repository - Postgres to 5.1.5d4, Oracle only to 5.1.5d3
ACS-events - Oracle to 0.4d, Postgres only to 0.3d
ACS-kernel - Oracle to 5.1.4d1, Postgres only to 5.1.2d3
ACS-messaging - Oracle to 5.0d1, Postgres only to 5.0.0b4
ACS-reference - Oracle to 0.3d, Postgres no upgrade.
ACS-service-contracts - Oracle to 5.0d1, Postgres only to 4.7d3

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I'm going to look at these bottom-up (since the acs-* packages are part of core).

acs-service-contracts .. the oracle upgrade not reflected in postgres is due to changes necessary to make OpenACS run on Oracle 9i.

phew :)

I suspect many of these will turn out to be due to the 9i aupport but I'll check, and Richard, thanks for making this list.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
ACS-kernel - Oracle to 5.1.4d1, Postgres only to 5.1.2d3
ACS-messaging - Oracle to 5.0d1, Postgres only to 5.0.0b4
ACS-reference - Oracle to 0.3d, Postgres no upgrade.
ACS-service-contracts - Oracle to 5.0d1, Postgres only to 4.7d3

acs-kernel is due to Timo fixing some bugs in previously committed upgrade scripts for oracle only.

the other three are Oracle 9i fixes.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
ACS-content-repository - Postgres to 5.1.5d4, Oracle only to 5.1.5d3
ACS-events - Oracle to 0.4d, Postgres only to 0.3d

Both are RDBMS-specific upgrades ...

Thanks again, Richard, I'll look into the others later ...

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
The project manager port to Oracle has never been finished, I believe. So it's not surprising that there are no upgrade scripts for project-manager.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The ETP discrepancy is no problem.

The Bulk Mail issue uncovered another issue - the Oracle upgrade script doesn't match the bulk-mail-create script! And the change had not been made to Postgres. Fixed it up ...

Don,

Maybe it would make sense to have a slightly different naming convention for mods that are database specific. This would avoid the version numbers becoming out of step between the dbs over time.

I feel as if I have created extra work here by assuming that the version numbers should match.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Events - Oracle 9i change

Dave and Dirk are working on search, so I'm not going to track that one down.

The people working on organizations and rss-support can check those packages if they care to.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Search does not support Oracle on 5.2. The first version that will support Oracle search will be 5.3 (with a version backported for 5.1 and 5.2) so there won't be any upgrade scripts just yet.

I'll look at rss-support. I suspect it's database specific, but you never know.