Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Contacts 1.0d and AMS 1.0d Todo List

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Matthew,

I have grave reservations about this assumption that all contacts are registered users. In fact I would go as far as to say that if we continue to develop down the road of ERP this will block progress.

Also, Claudio's existing work on ERP may prove to be incompatible with this assumption.

Can I please pursuade you to look for another convenient means of handling 'delete'.

If I can't pursuade you, and we use the 'groups' functionality for this, instead of using the existing registered users group would it not make sense to do one of the following instead:

Option1)
Have a group called 'deleted' and assign contacts to these. (Seems like a bit of a cludge though since the contact's state is an attribute of the contact).

Option2)
Set up a group per contacts instance and assign contacts to the group associated with the package_id.

Or why not go a different route and simply always add by default a deleted_p attribute to every contact. I don't know whether you can conveniently do this using any 'typed' attributes or whether it is easier to auto-adding deleted_p in the user defined ams 'record' definition for contacts.

It seems to me that the debate really needs to be expanded to cover how we should store object metadata in applications that use ams.

Regards
Richard