Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Edit This Page 2.0 project

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's cool that the problem is solved for file-storage, but I think anyone building on the CR would appreciate it if the solution was available there.
Yes, this is good.
cr_items triggers for search: that's what I was suggesting; that we revise content-search.sql so that it's possible to index only published content items. Neophytos and I talked about this a while ago and agreed this would be more useful than the current setup.
This would solve the problem with bboard forums which, in the Oracle version at least, makes both your post and the dupe massaged for e-mail alerts available to Intermedia.

Of course the new search package does things differently than is done with Intermedia currently (and we have to move Oracle from SWS to the new search for the enxt release) but the general idea, only index published items, makes sense.

Jun - I'm not sure what you mean by dropping support of ETP coexisting with subsite packages. Subsites bring functionality to the table, i.e. membership, master templates, etc.

Regarding lob/filesystem storage I personally would like to see *all* packages in the system give this choice. Storing everything in the DB is inappropriate for busy sites with lots of large binary files that are accessed, but as Jowell points out consistent backups come for free with the RDBMS dump/export commands. Small, non-busy sites are exactly those likely to be run be people who will appreciate a very simple way to make consistent backups, while those running busy, large sites are more likely to be skilled at sysadmin tasks or be in a position to hire someone with those skills.

It is very easy to support both forms if you use the Tcl API I added to the CR Tcl library (check file storage for example).