Forum OpenACS Development: Response to User Categorization

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

What I was thinking is that Objects are relatively well defined types. Usually they are grouped togeather in some kind of useful interface. Maybe someone wants to remember the content of that object, more than the specific interface, or produce their own interface to the object. I tend to write notes on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper, and stacks of this pile up around my desk. Someone else is sure to use post-it notes. Now this idea is more complicated because we have different types of objects, but maybe this provides an opportunity for synthesis. A photo, a bookmark, a bboard posting. I don't want the entire thread, just the postings, but maybe some link could bring the user to the original (or multiple) places where this content is posted.

I think of a simple experiment I happened to try in college. Some industrious student had made poster boards for a lecture he was giving. I was not able to figure out what the topic was. These posters had abstract messages, questions. All I did was to thumb-tack one of these to one of those mobile poster thingies. What happened is that other students would wander by and see this quite out of place sign and they would start writing their own responses on the poster. Soon, responses to the responses would show up. Occasionally I would change the poster for a new one from the same lecture. Eventually I started my own nonsense posters. The point is that the responses can be quite amazing, and certainly are interesting. This is more like stream of thought, which might not fit into the regular discussion but could be interesting.

So I am thinking of a separate area that would allow users to orgainze material how they see fit, and to add commentary.