Forum OpenACS Q&A: Master thesis about OpenACS in KM

Collapse
Posted by Maciej Dakowicz on
Hey guys,

I'm writing a master thesis about usage of OpenACS for knowledge management in large, international organizations. I'm basing generally on AIESEC example (www.aiesec.net).

As I have the access to the system and I can check what are the modules used (at the moment the system is used by more than 200.000 users from 89 countries all over the world), I can get more info from AIESEC about their KM strategy etc. However I don't know much about technical side of OpenACS and its competitors.

Could you help me guys with that? I mean I need more information about following issues:

1. COMPETITORS of OpenACS. Do you know any other similar systems? Somebody mentioned that Zope Page Templates (ZPT) and Enhydra's XMLC. What do you think?

2. PROS & CONS of using OpenAcs in term of resources needed ($, money, time), user-friendliness etc.

And last but not least (please don' laugh) two simple questions:

3. How you would call such portal as AIESEC.net. It's rather not an Intranet. Is there any specific word for that? :))

4. Can you explain me in simple words how OpenACS is connetected with .LRN and .WRK?

I have to admit that I found this master thesis really challanging. In Poland I didn't find a single page about OpenACS so I'm a pioneer here I think...

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Maciek

Collapse
Posted by Håkan Ståby on
Hi Maciej!

I'll try to answer the questions from my point of view. I wouldn't take it for the general truth, just my opinion. :)

At my company we've had, and still have, a student (Jonas) writing a master thesis about company clusters and how to increase cooperation, knowledge and awareness (of other companies) by the help of a community portal. The site is online but still a prototype and awaiting evaluation. We are using OpenACS as you might have already guessed.

It was, by no means, obvious to use OpenACS for this, which leads me to answering your first question.

1. Jonas studied and evaluated 6 different systems (being open source was a requirement), Drupal, Mambo, PHP Website, Xaraya, Zope/Plone, Xoops and OpenACS. (Not sure about spelling of all the names here.) Most of the systems he tested failed on grouping, permissions and scalability. Most of the systems had "better looks" than OpenACS, OACS was the last one we tested, since I figured it needed too much programming to change to what we wanted.

Mambo had a feature that could be bought, where permissions and ease of creating additional communities were supposed to be easy (not tested). The original way to create additional sub sites and communities required a doubling of the amount of tables in the database for each new community and since it was supposed to be open source, Mambo failed.

Jonas failed to install Zope so we discarded it.

Xaraya couldn't create additional communities and didn't have a good permissioning system.

It seems the general similarity is that he looked at great looking web publishing systems when what we needed was a community system. I would look at the other systems as not direct competitors, in our case at least, but as systems that could become competitors in the future.

2. CON 1: The drawback of OpenACS was really the looks of the system from a user point of view. There is no simple way to change the look and feel of the system by just changing a template. We had to write our own templating system (not to mix up with the existing ACS templating system). It was not hard but takes a lot of effort to change all the pages to work in a way that lets you change the overall template in a simple way. We would like to help bring back the templating system to the community if the community is interested? :)

CON 2: There is a rather steep learning curve to install and understand the inner workings of OpenACS. But once you know it it's really good, fast and useful.

PROS: The system is very scalable. The community is very friendly. The documentation is sometimes outdated and hard to find but it is generally good (much better than for other systems). The most important parts for us are the permissioning system, the availability of grouping and last but not least, it's community oriented. It is very easy to create a new community and rather easy to create separate spaces for groups and communities.

For the system we built, we spent like 2 months full time, where I was able to help a beginner with technical questions. In these 2 months there is also the major job of planning, negotiations with other companies, testing and configuration, where the small part is actual programming. We made the prototype user friendly with very few and obvious choices for the user. We also did usability testing. OACS is not programmer friendly for a beginner, but I guess any complex system would be like that.

3. I would call it an online community. Not sure if there is a good name for this yet. :)

4. Open ACS in itself is a developer's toolkit. It has a lot of services and applications that can be put together to a complete solution for you or your organization. I would like to put it like this: Open ACS has a set of applications like a portal system, project manager, calendar, etc. Open ACS also contains a set of platform services like content repository, events and permissions, that are used by the applications. Put together in a clever way they make up vertical applications like .WRK, .LRN and Business Community Networks.

I hope this helps,
Hakan

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Håkan,

can you explain in more detail how your templating system works and how it could be integrated to OACS?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I am interested in what you needed to change to make it easier to change the overall look and feel of OpenACS. Most changes can be made in the master template.

I don't think a new templating system is the answer at all, but I think your insight and a little more detail would be great to see how you solved this problem. Perhaps a new thread would be appropriate.

Collapse
Posted by Håkan Ståby on
I think calling it a new templating system is exaggerating, since it implies complexity. :) I take that back. It is actually a very simple solution.

We created a set of css-files and images and grouped them together as a theme. A new parameter in the kernel lets you enter the location of your desired theme. (Maybe we would want to make the master template a part of the theme.) An enhancement we have thought of already is that you might want to allow the user to be able to select their own theme, like you may select your language today.

Each package may use the existing css-templates or its own. What a package shouldn't do, is change colors and overall positions on the whole page.

Jonas will start a new thread to describe the really simple but somewhat tedious job of changing the look and feel of Open ACS.

Benefits of having themes are.
1. Ease of use. Just a simple parameter to change total look and feel.
2. Easy to change. The programmer/designer just updates the css-files and images (and master template).
3. In the future one might want to allow each user to pick their own favorite theme for the site. A theme might be large fonts for visually handicapped and so on...

Collapse
Posted by Nick Grossman on
Here at PPS, we've been using OpenACS for about 5 or 6 years. At first, we built a relatively simple resource site called Urban Parks Online, and a community site called Great Public Spaces using OpenACS version3. Neither of these could be considered a large knowledge management system, but for us they were a warm up.

Our most recent project was a Transportation resource center built for the Federal Highway Administration using OpenACS 5. It contains hundreds of case studies, images, and publications, and aims to solicit content from the large community of Transportation practitioners (mainly at state Departments of Transportation). So far, it is full of content, but the community side hasn't taken off yet.

Similar to Håkan's experience, we chose OpenACS for its strong backend - scalability, permissions, and subsiting. In all of these regards, we have been satisfied (we chose between OpenACS, Zope, Plumtree, and Interwoven). However, the overall UI has been problematic and time-consuming. While most applications in OpenACS have reasonable administration pages, there is not a user-friendly main admin page that is appropriate for content managers. In general, the language and polish within acs is very sparse and techy-oriented. We have also spent more time than we expected customizing the display templates (admittedly, there was a steep learning curve for us, and now that we know our way around better it's much faster).

That certainly doesn't answer all of your questions, but perhaps the first 2.

Best of luck on the thesis,
Nick

Collapse
Posted by Maciej Dakowicz on
Hey

Thanks a lot for sending me your comments.

In the meantime I contacted some companies from OpenACS list and asked them similar questions. I have to admit that only some smal % of them gave me reply.

I also contacted some companies in Poland which claim that they are providing KM internet tools. I'm aware that OpenACS is maybe not exactly KM tool, however none of companies gave me a reply. It means that OpenACS is completely new topic for Polish entreprises and programers. The best prove it that I found only one company in Poland which is providing OpenACS solutions for their clients.....

If you have any other comments, inputs, suggestions, I'll be more than happy to read them!