Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Novice question

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Hi Van,

Looks like you've been successful, but I just wanted to make a couple notes in case someone else has the same problem

Issue 1: Running postgres utilities (createdb, etc) as the nsadmin user.

The following must be true:
  1. web group must have read and execute privs on /usr/local/pgsql and /usr/local/pgsql/bin
  2. nsadmin must belong to the web group (check by doing: groups nsadmin)
  3. nsadmin's path must have /usr/local/pgsql/bin in it (check by doing: echo $PATH)
  4. nsadmin must have been given specific user privileges by postgres user (i.e. postgres user must run 'createuser nsadmin').
So, it looks like your issue was with #1 (as Jade and Tapiwa have mentioned).

Your pgsql dir looks like this:

drwxr-----    9 postgres web          4096 Mar  4 13:22 pgsql
whereas mine (Debian) looks like this:
drwxr-sr-x    9 postgres web          4096 Feb  1 12:53 pgsql
So this looks like a difference in the way that RedHat and Debian set perms on a newly created dir under /usr/local (i'm guessing now).

I'll fix this in the docs by making sure that /usr/local/pgsql is set to chmod 750 after it's created.

Issue 2: Installing the PG driver

There's no longer a separate section for installing the PG driver, since the driver is included in Mat Kovach's awesome aolserver-oacs distribution. Unfortunately, the makefile in /usr/local/src/aolserver/pgdriver/makefile won't work on every distro. You should be able to get this to work by setting PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib and PGINC=/usr/local/pgsql/include, as mentioned above. If you use Mat's conf script, you can leave NSHOME alone and it will build all the modules into /usr/local/src/aolserver/dist and then install them into /usr/local/aolserver. It also tars up the modules and aolserver into your own personal binary distro so that if you ever need to recreate your initial set up, just untar and mv to /usr/local/aolserver. No need to remake everything. (Just noticed that today Mat - very cool!)

Mat's working on editing the makefile to make it work seamlessly on multiple platforms, but it's not quite there yet, so I'll add some instructions to the docs in the meantime

Issue 3: Problems with the openacs4.tcl.txt file

It looks like some tabs are not coming across properly (e.g. the tab between 'fancy' and '".adp"'), so I'll convert these to spaces and upload a new file.

BTW, Thanks for bringing up these problems! They'll hopefully be fixed soon.