Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Off topic: MMbase

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Thanks Simon for the reply.  I appreciate the inputs.  I hope more people will put their real experiences with other platforms.  I look forward to read your study about this.

I am interested in mmbase as a complement alternative platform not as a replacement for OpenACS.

OpenACS is very good, I love it and will continue to develop on it but its not the only platform.  It has its strengths and weaknesses.  Its like Windows and Unix, my stand is that both have its places.  But I do love Linux and wish windows to crash and crash... hehehe.  The same stand that I have with aolserver and java servlets, both has its uses.

As I have noted OpenACS may not be for all clients and solutions.  We even had a client that dictated to use Windows + Apache + Perl + Access.  It was really funny at first but in the end it was a better platform than OpenACS.  Also we had a happy client and did not have to fight about his insistence of his platform.  Because the web app is in a CD that was installed in small businesses.

I find mmbase to be different just take a look at this:

http://www.mmbase.org/projects/remote/mmbaseremoteservices.html

I dont think it would be logical to reimplement that on aolserver tcl.  The same way it was not logical for aD to reimplement what they had on tcl in Java.

mmbase and openacs also have some overlapping stuff.  This why I am looking for community members in OpenACS that may have knowledge and experience on it or similar to mmbase.  OpenACS is not heard in the mmbase community so here I am with this off topic post.