Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Is someone interested in the ACS 4.x Java Chat Module for openacs 3.2.x?

You need to talk to me, but obviously it won't make it in with this first release.  Which is no big deal, when we get our repository up we can just stick it in there.

It doesn't look like the package would be all that hard to port to OpenACS 4/PG ...

Did aD provide a Javascript client or just the Java interface for the 4.x version?

Anyway ... what do folks think?  I know some folks are more interested in interfacing to Jabber and possibly IRC but having a standalone chatter package doesn't mean we can't latter support other options.

Rocael - I think the design of the existing ACS 4 chat package would eventually become obsolete.  Even in the short term the transcript logger probably wants to hook up to the RSS package to allow offsite  logging of the transcript.  In the longer term it may need to support various protocols as mentioned above which would probably mean modularizing it to a fairly high degree.

I think, anyway, I haven't thought much about it (maybe others have?)

But maybe having a port of the existing chat (interfaced with the RSS package?) would start the ball rolling towards a more interesting future version.