Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Help on CVS

Collapse
4: Response to Help on CVS (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Cynthia,

I was never able to crack this.  After a few days of cvs import, checkout and rm of the repository I kinda gave up.  What happened in the end was.

I did a cvs import cvscopy of OpenACS.  On the other tree I did a cvs status custom, the packages files that was customized I then cvs exported.  I manually merged them with some grep and diff.

But from my experiment I think I was a little successful.  But when I applied my experiment to the real thing it just failed several times.

Here is what I did in my experiment.

Create vendor_a/file.txt, vendor_b/file.txt, mytree/file.txt.  cvs add mytree/file.txt, cvs import vendor_a/file.txt, cvs import -b [blah] vendor_b/file.txt, cd to mytree, cvs update you will get nothing.  Then do a cvs update -j vendor_a, then cvs update -j vendor_b.  It merges.  I did the same process on the real thing over and over again and variying some stuff.  It failed.

But then again I dont consider myself good in CVS.  I only work on a single trunk tree most of the time with 1 vendor imported.  I just to cvs tag occasionally to mark milestones.

I hope somebody that is good in CVS can help us. Basic problem is OpenACS files merged with customized OpenACS files that was based on some older code of OpenACS.  This must be on a new tree since a new project will be started.