Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS System Wins Mobile Award

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Hi Rocael,

The short answer is yes, we do intend to release such a module(s).

The plan was to release the bits of software we've used, and also a short piece on how to build SMS based apps.

Unfortunately time pressure have set this back a bit, and also we wanted to look into integrating our queueing mechanism more directly with the ACS.

Its also reasonably true to say that there is no single/common way of creating these apps.. in brief there are three approaches:

- Use GSM modem equipment (or banks of them)

- Connect to a thrid party carrier. Usually an XML-RPC or TCP pipe.

- Connect directly to a mobile operator i.e. the Short Message Service Centre (SMSC)

Each of these alternatives requires different development, components and almost always an element of bespoke development. SMS/Text Message standard cover only the protocol i.e. format of messages etc. There is no similar standard for network equipment such as SMSC's. Therefore the problem of creating a general package/mechanism is compounded.

What we have at present is:

- An SMS Broker. This basically performs queueing, retry, transmission and sessions/protocol establishment with the end point.

- A number of small modules for implementing XML-RPC interfaces with third party carriers.

- Implementation of device modules for a few common GSM modem types. (still lacks receipt processing)

- A number of design/implementation approaches that we've used to extend the ACS core to work in this fashion. The main issue is always how we tie mobile number into the system in a similar way to the way email address is used now.

So, we do intend to pass this out when we get time to do a bit more on it. In particular, if we make it more ACS specific we also need to consider a number of small changes to existing stuff to cater for mobile numbers more readily. I thought it best to wait until we're at a more stable release.

Also, as a side topic, we'v not yet experimented with services in USA. At the moment we focus on Europe, and we are certainly GSM specifc. I know that GSM is now quite widely available in the USA, however my understanding of the American market is that is is highly fragmented and a lot more price sensitive that Europe. That has lead to a situation where there are numerous providers/carriers and therefore the diffculty in launching SMS apps is compounded.

This is only me tertiary understanding, so I'm always interested to hear of anyone doing this in the states, and what the situation is really like on the ground...

Cheers
Simon