Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: navigation changes in dotLRN: RFC

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Some clarification on "static" menus.

It's important to note that the tabs/pages appearing on the user's personal portal are not static. The user can modify the number of pages, the ordering of the pages, the titles of the pages, and their contents from Control Panel -> Customize Layout.

So the personal portal tabs are only "static" in the sense that they remain constant until the user edits their personal portal.

Collapse
Posted by Jeremy Monnet on
Hi Andrew,

I will try to explain things in a different way.

What is now as tabs will be as submenu. What does not exist now will be the tabs. You should have a look at the pictures http://jmonnet80.free.fr/Selva/MockUps/ to understand what Rafael wants.

The future will be with tabs user can't change (or are unadvice to do so), while they can change the submenu (in fact this is part of the code that doesn't change : when they add a tab/page now, they will add a submenu item).

So I moved the information from portal_navbar to the submenu, and I am asking now what is the best way to create what will be a menu "above" what we know now.

Dorian found it difficult to navigate, because you never know where you are. The goal is the user always knows where he is.

Maybe now you understand better my questions ?

So I'm trying to figure out what is the best way not to compromise the logic of the dorlrn, and to create a functionnality that was not expected (a sort of main menu above the existing one). We should be able to remove the "where-we-are" section at top of the page with these features.

I will look to the callbacks, I don't know anything about it, so it may help ?