Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Software Development (Bugs, QA, etc) and OACS

Don wrote:

Well ... a new SDM tied to a new Intranet-ish suite tied to a knowledge management system would be a very interesting thing.

In other words the old intranet package gave some control over how you can let people (clients) into the system, controlling what they can see and can't see, what they can and can't do, etc. Tie that with the SDM and you'd have something more useful for small consulting companies than bugzilla, I think, due to the nice possibilities that the rich OpenACS 4 datamodel makes possible.

And Malte wrote:

Denis and I decided to use OpenACS for our own site. As we rely heavily on Intranet, we will start porting the ACS 3.5 intranet when work has settled a little bit or some big company is willing to spare some if its money with us for doing it. So, nothing will start before May, but we definitly want to drive this ahead AND drive it in the direction Don has been talking.

It seems to me that dotLRN may provide the base for much of what you're talking about. It has (AFAIK) class and group scoping that could be turned into project and subproject scoping, admin, professor, TA, and student permissions that could be turned into developer, project manager, client, etc., full use of the new portals system, and a nice API that makes it relatively easy to tie new packages into the system. It's got event scheduling, bboard, file-storage, wimpy point, calendar, and other Intranet-like features already set up for it. It seems to me that dotLRN would be the right place to start in terms of building a new Intranet package. I'd love to see both SDM and ticket-tracker integrated with it.