Forum OpenACS Development: "Popularity" as a categorization criterion

Collapse
Posted by Clay Gordon on
I'd like to look beyond the mechanics of implementation for a moment.

If categorization like this is going to be implemented on a public server, then I'd like to see the idea of popularity implemented -- show me popular links, concepts, objects, people, etc. For example, I can find out that DonB posts a lot, so maybe I'd like to "subscribe" to DonB, not just a thread or content object. (In reality, popularity is an n-dimensional concept, needing both machine-generated values (for initial seeding, for example), with human generated values (which over time, may be more useful)).

A shared bookmark manager module might evaluate all of the URIs posted by all contributors and post a list of popular bookmarks; evaluation of multiple categorization trees can be used as input to create a shared vocabulary for describing content that can be leveraged across many uses of the system, especially with the ability to explicitly create knowlege networks and attach them to category nodes as searchable metadata. This gets even more interesting with the integration of tools like WordNet and OpenCyc as pre-processors providing input for openFTS.

Finally, I urge a kind of stochastic processing that will bring less popular items to the top of the list for evaluation. One of the problems with popularity systems (e.g., Google PageRank, DirectHit) is that popular items tend to get more popular, while less popular items tend to get less popular.