Forum OpenACS Q&A: Need Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I want to add my own cookie values to my OpenACS 3.x system as part of the current cookie system. Particularly, I want to renew a user's cookie with "bobzval" based on visits to specific pages by users who are NOT logged on.

I can selectively set a cookie in my file if:
ad_verify_and_get_user_id
comes back with a zero with this:

ad_set_cookie -expires never "bobzval" "$bob1,$bob2"

If it turns out that this is a user already in the system but logged out, when they DO log in, I'd want the cookie $bob1 to be replaced with the "bob1" I already have in the db.

It appears that when I use the above code on a page, there is an unintended and unwanted redirection to the /registration page.

I'd like some help here...

• Am I on the right track trying to use part of the existing OpenACS cookie system for my own values?
  • How do I prevent redirection?
  • How do I retrieve my values without other unintended consequences?
  • Other big picture ideas on solving this problem?

Thank you
-Bob

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I think ad_get_user_id returns zero for a non logged in user. Use this:

set user_id [ad_get_user_id]
if {[string match "0" ${user_id}]} {

# do something
} else {
  # do something else
}
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I wouldn't try to use cookies to hold info for non-registered users.  Cookies can be turned off, deleted, etc.  If you want to store user info, make them register and store it in the db.
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
I wouldn't set a new cookie. As far as I know openacs3 issues a session cookie automatically if cookies are enabled on the client, also for non-registered users. You can use the ad_set_client_property and ad_get_client_property procs to associate values to the current session (see /doc/security-sessions.html on an OpenACS 3.x installation).

When a user logs in or registers the new user_id will be stored in the sec_sessions table, so the values will the be directly associated with the user when possible.