Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Package Idea

Collapse
3: Response to Package Idea (response to 1)
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I tried out the vpopmail package. It installs easily and without any problems, but configuration was not what I expected. I actually was unable to get it to work with either Netscape mail or Mozilla mail. There are several problems. The first is that the login user name seems to need to be in the form jane@example.com. This works great for using telnet to login and check messages. However, I was unable to convince Netscape of this. The software is actually running on mail.example.com, so I am guessing that Netscape is using something like jane@example.com@mail.example.com, or just chopping off everything and sending jane. I thought the aliasing facility would work, and it does for telnet login. I can login as jane@mail.example.com as well. So maybe someone can offer a better configuration option than is listed in the docs. Also, note that this software will overwrite your current qmail control files. If experimenting, it might be nice to make a backup. It also appends to users/assign and adds lock files for everything it touches.