Forum OpenACS Q&A: Questions about Red Hat and ArsDigita answered

I think many people here would be interested in this press release
about Red Hat and ArsDigita:

http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/FAQ_ArsDigita.html

Here is the letter that I just received:

SUBJECT: Update about Arsdigita

As you may have heard, Red Hat recently purchased assets and technologies from ArsDigita, and hired a number of ArsDigita personnel. As a user of these technologies, you may have some questions about the transaction and what it may mean to you.

Most importantly, we at Red Hat, including our new colleagues from ArsDigita, are committed to the continued success of the ArsDigita Community System (ACS) and its users. As a member of the Red Hat executive team, I own the commitment personally and on behalf of our company.

The former ArsDigita folks who joined Red Hat comprise a team with which I will work closely to ensure that existing customers realize the business and technology benefits of ACS and related technologies, such as the ArsDigita Content Management System (CMS). Our commitment also extends to assuring that the global strength of Red Hat as an open source solutions provider accelerates the development and adoption of ACS, CMS and new technologies.

Additional information about the transaction and our future can be found at:

{Same Link as in Branimir's Post:}
    ...FAQ_ArsDigita.html

--

Howard A. Jacobson
    VP
    Red Hat, Inc.

----

-Bob

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's good to see that they intend to continue web/db and to keep the ASJ etc available.  And that current customers will be supported.  And that they may continue work on "ACSJ".
Bad that they're keeping the name, though.
I can't imagine that they will keep the name for very long... I mean they are changing Postgres into RedHat Database.

They might drop the name ACS with the ACSJ 5 release (maybe RedHat Community System 😉... Until then they don't want to irritate former aD customers. As soon as the customers are used to picking up the phone and talking to a RedHat employee instead of an aD employee they will streamline the branding (IMHO)...

David Wrote:"...I mean they are changing Postgres into RedHat Database....".

Wow, I missed this news from way back in July:
www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2001/press_database.html

How does this work? I see that RedHat Database costs $2295. and Postgresql is available for download.

Will Postgresql still be available separately for those that don't need the RedHat installation support. Isn't the RedHat version just a repackaging of Postgresql, or will they truly merge as David suggests?

-Bob

Bob,

with merge I meant that at some point they will release ACSJ as some kind of super dupa RedHat Community System or such, because they own all the rights to ACS and ACSJ...

As far as I know RedHat doesn't own any rights to Postgresql. As you mentioned they just repackage Postgresql add some support and distribute it as RedHat Database...

Bob,

PostgreSQL is under the BSD license, which allows anyone to bundle software into a proprietary package with the only requirement being that they provide proper attribution. So Red Hat is allowed to take a PG download and sell it for $2300. So are you for that matter.

They don't own PG in anyway more than you or I. So there's no worry whatsoever that the Red Hat DB endangers the freedom of PG.

That being said, for clients who are afraid of free software, it's nice to tell them that they can spend $2300 and get a lower version of what you can download for free. They get the feeling that there's someone accountable for what they're using. We have a couple of clients who might buy RH DB because of this.

So, in a weird way, RH-DB is actually a service. At least for shops with clients that are initially afraid of OSS.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well ... they're explicitly selling service for that price.  The RedHat DB release includes RH 7.1 and PG 7.1.2 bundled together with one-point *support* for both via phone or web.

I have no idea how good that support is, but if it is good then it's well worth it for companies who want a supported database box.  No need to attempt to diagnose a problem as being PG or Linux in order to figure out who to call, just call RedHat.

The appeal seems fairly obvious.

Of course you still have to figure out whether it's most likely a hardware or software problem you're having :)

Don, that's a good point. But I'd also like them to pay ME for that.

That way I can just say, "uh, it's your gasket arsinator and your brake housings. that'll be $1000."

talli

ps.
to current and future clients, I'M KIDDING!!!!