Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to A New OpenACS Site & the False Consensus Effect

I understand how you feel. It is sometimes amazing that clients would reject our best recommendations and instead choose the ugliest colour combinations for their new websites, not to mention mistaking Flash animations as dynamic interactivity.

You could call SPS Page 1 a lot of things, but calling it "beautiful" is just too far-fetched. The cyan colour background is not even funny. The "out-of-place" pages were actually a relief for my eyes as I escaped from the old site, and then I realized how awful the cyan background truly was.

One thing about the usability of the new pages, take the following link as example: http://spower.electricspeed.com/vehicle/browse-one-type?category_id=1112795

I would have thought that it takes too many clicks before the user could see any pictures of the vehicles. The brand names and model numbers are fine for dedicated bikers, but the beginners really would want to relate with images.

During a recent discussion with one of my clients (himself an American), he told me that his target audiences were traditional middle-age middle-Americans, who would feel intimidated by a more modern-looking usability-orientated website. Who am I to argue?

The customer is always right. So I suggest you to change the background colour of the new pages to cyan, which should improve the "out-of-place" problem somewhat. Just don't let anybody know that you did that website. *GRIN*.