Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Still struggling with xowiki.

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Gustaf,

Thank you for the reply. After posting last night, but before turning in(!), I managed to work out that I needed to add 'class' to allowed attributes, and 'IMG' to the allowed tags in the kernel paramaters in order to upload my code.

This at least allowed me at last to see the autogenerated forms and to try an xowiki::Form and an xowiki::Template.

I learned that I have to be careful with naming since every single variable specified must have a unique name which I presume is requirement imposed by the CR data model.

I have seen the 'import' button on the admin page which I presume will allow me to import some of your example form definitions. Hopefully these will allow me to see your form defs and work out how to do it.

Am I correct in thinking the following:

- The template field is for adding html/css markup that styles and lays out the page? There is an option to include @vars@ in the template which will be substituted for entered values when an instance of the form is rendered.

- The form field is optional and is for writing forms explicitly rather than relying on the automated form generation. This presumably is an interface to ad_form? I think that this field may be left blank if the auto generated form is adequate for the purpose. I am not clear on the syntax and semantics for entries in this field. I think this field would be used to for example specify that a textarea entry widget should be for example 80x10 rather than the default size, or to set styling.

- The constraints field is optional and is for specifying constraints in an exactly similar way to those specified for ad_page_contract?

I have created an initial test form that allowed for every content element of my page to be entered in a field. Whilst this eliminates the need for markup to be edited, it results in a huge form with over 20 fields to complete. I would therefore have to decide whether it is a good idea to do this, or whether the simple option of adding the content as markup is actually better and more flexible in the long run.

I have had to produce a simple CSS driven dropdown menu (don't you just hate designers!) which will appear on every page. Am I correct in thinking that I can create an xowiki page for this, and simply include it in the html template at the appropriate point so that it would only need to be edited once to reflect on all pages?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

R.