Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Gratuitous use of acs_objects?

Collapse
Posted by russ m on

I remember seeing that comment and having exactly the same reaction when I first started working with aD ACS4, but seeing that paragraph in context makes things clearer -

In the context of ACS 4, this means using the object model to make our data models more flexible, so that new modules can easily gain access to generic features. However, while the API itself doesn't enforce the idea that applications only use the object model for metadata, it is also the case that the data model is not designed to scale to large type hierarchies. In the more limited domain of the metadata model, this is acceptable since the type hierarchy is fairly small. But the object system data model is not designed to support, for example, a huge type tree like the Java runtime libraries might define.

This last point cannot be over-stressed: the object model is not meant to be used for large scale application data storage. It is meant to represent and store metadata, not application data.

the essential point here isn't "don't store application data in objects" but "don't store application data in the object hierarchy". I suspect the bold paragraph would be better rendered as "the object hierarchy is not meant to be used for large scale application data storage."

or that's what I reckon they were getting at, anyway...