Forum OpenACS Development: Response to What are the performance goals of the OpenACS core?

I think the current design could do 10 reasonable pages per second on commonly available hardware. I think the limiting factor is the permission system. If you could optionally add permissions to objects I don’t think the object model would play much of a role in the performance of the site.

Yes, I think this is true. Depends on what one considers "commonly available hardware" but if you're willing to think in terms of a modern dual-processor Pn or Athlon with a GB or two of RAM I think such a goal is achievable.

The next issue would be how may object sequence numbers are there? With Oracle I think you could create objects till the sun burns out, with a 32-bit number you could have a problem

I just ran a quick calculation and creating ten objects a second would require a bit under 5000 days to overflow a 32-bit sequence. By then I expect to be running on 64-bit hardware :) A site creating ten objects a second would be an extraordinarily busy site, of course, so in practice overflow won't be a problem in the near term.

PostgreSQL uses 32-bit transaction IDs. Standalone statements run in an "invisible" transaction in order to support atomicity, so this number doesn't just increase when you explicitly wrap a transaction in "BEGIN END". Wrap-around used to kill PG and was only solved in PG 7.1 IIRC. My point is that the PG group just started seeing bug reports related to the wraparound issue about a year ago ... it took a very long time to overflow in the real world.