Forum OpenACS Q&A: OT - Xserver for MS products

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
This may be old news but... Many of us are stuck at times using MS products whether for testing or other reasons.

In the process of trying to use some linux tools (lyx/docbook)I ran across a free X server for windows from cygnus/redhat that I have used to remotly admin my servers. I also can envision intranets that refuse for political reasons to support linux to have a convienent method of connecting to the back office Linux/Unix boxen.

The url is http://sources.redhat.c om/cygwin/xfree/.

Collapse
Posted by James Harris on
We have had a lot of success using a VNC server on our Linux boxen and connecting a Windows VNC client via SSH tunnelling.
Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
I still recommend Reflection X over just about anything free.  It just seems to work better and if you have to use Windows you might has well have some good X-Windows/Windows interactions.

It at least might save you from throwing your mouse across the room.

That said though, VNC and Cygwin's Xfree make reasonable alternatives.  For long time/hard core type work though I would really recommend a commericial solution.

Plus there is nothing quite like having somebody spend more money and a Windows Client box just to turn it into a usable X-Terminal :)