Forum OpenACS Q&A: Help with "...Bad cache id 27" error on install

OK, I'm still having problems after a few botched install attempts with different versions of AOLServer, PostgreSQL, and OpenACS. I figured it's finally time to ask for advice.

Right now I'm running a Redhat 7.2 box, with Postgres 7.1 (installed from RPM downloaded from postgresql.org mirror), AOLServer 3.2-4_ad12_nsxlm (installed from RPM downloaded from this site), and OpenACS 3.2.5 (untarred as the RPM had a dependency I couldn't locate). pgdriver-2.0.1 was installed yesterday in a different version of Postgres (7.2, uninstalled this morning) which might cause some problems, but the failure I'm seeing occurs before I even try to run AOLServer, so I'm putting this off for now...

I'm trying to load the data model, and I'm receiving the following error message: ERROR: SearchSysCache: Bad cache id 27

followed a few lines later by this one: (which repeats itself a few times):

ERROR: Relation "country_codes" does not exist

It's likely that this is what was causing my problems before (aolserver would listen on 127.0.0.1:80, but it would throw out errors and reject connections with a handful of errors, beginning with the Bad cache id message listed above.)

After install/uninstall/reinstall I'm to the point where I need to yank everything back out and install from scratch again (documenting everything this time -- enough changes so far that my memory's clouded), but I'd like to hack this installation to the point where it runs, so I'll know what I'm doing wrong next time.

Any idea where I should look next?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
When you installed PG 7.1 rather than PG 7.2 did you remember to kill off the old postmaster, get rid of all the files left behind from PG 7.2, etc etc etc?

The "SearchSysCache" error you're getting is internal to PG and my first guess is that something's messed up in your install.  Be sure, too, that you're running PG 7.1.3 (the last of the PG 7.1 series) not PG 7.1 in order to make sure you've got the last bug fixes to get into PG 7.1.

Thanks -- followed your directions, uninstalled, and reinstalled Postgresql and it seems to be working now.

Except aolserver won't talk to it.  I need to compile the postgres driver for aolserver, but (unfortunately) installed the RPM version available here, which I can't find the source for.

Anyone have the source for Aolserver 3.2-ad12?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
We had a little subproject underway to wrap ad13 with AOLserver 3.4 and then put sources and RPMs up here but that seems to have fallen silent recently.

Does anyone know what's up with this?  I think there were some charset issues still to be resolved, something like that???

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You can still get AOLserver 3.3+ad13 (which is what we're all running at the moment) from aD's repository
Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
Don,

http://uptime.openacs.org/aolserver-openacs/

Is there things are currently at.  I really haven't received any feedback on 3.4 yet, so I'm attemtping to do the testing myself.

I've got suse rpms in the works right now (just cleaning up things a bit there are a little different the Redhat rpms).  I'm attempting to figure out Solaris packages to (hopefully).

There hasn't been much news good or bad so I haven't reported back to here.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I may grab it myself to play but not until after we release OpenACS 4.5.  Thanks for the update!