Forum OpenACS Development: Object Connections

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I want to write a new package called connections. The basic idea is to allow ordinary users to make random links (connections) from one object to another.

I thought of this while contemplating designing a family tree/photo album, and finding the current packages too technical for most users.

The package would have to include a set of templates for displaying any object out of its original context, while displaying links made from that object to other objects.

Also I was thinking there should be a simple way for users to add new object types, which would automatically create the right tables and a simple form for adding entries. These would have to be simple tables without references to any other table except acs_objects.

Connections should also be of different types, because the object link will not always make clear the relationship between objects. For instance, if I wanted to construct a family tree, I might need a connection type for son, daughter, father, mother, dog, cat...

As far as the data model, it looks like there will be a connection_type table, and a connections table.

I guess there is also the possibility of a bi-directional connection. Should this require two links, or be supported in a single entry? This type of connection would be less random, like father-son, album-photo.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Most of what you're talking about is already handled by acs_rels.  You could also create a new relation type, something like family_rel and subclass it for the various family relationships - son_rel, daughter_rel, father_rel, etc.  Bi-directional links should already be supported, but it probably be necessary to create a user-interface, as the admin interface for relations in oacs4 is not up to the task.