Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ACS-JAVA + PostgreSQL

Collapse
Posted by Paul Moody on
I think what Don's getting at is that actions speak louder than words.  Sean, I have been reading the OpenACS and ACS forums like a passion. I started following ACS before there were an OpenACS. I often do not like how Don employs diplomacy. It is not one of his strongest points. But, he most often tells it straight out with no icing. Fortunately for OpenACS, he is most often right. Therefore, actions do speak louder than words.  Consider this in making your decision:

1.    MIT and other universities are strongly supporting OpenACS. See http://dotlrn.mit.edu/

2.    A complete elearning package is being built for OpenACS backed by MIT.

3.    RedHat does support Postgres at a price you may not want to pay. Therefore, I am optimistic that they will finish ACS 5.0 for their postgres release. But, do you think that ACS 5.0 will be for free or will it be priced like their Postgres package?

Now about TCL, I am a man who was and still is just a little sceptical about TCL. In fact, I hate the idea of learning a new scripting or programming language. Although I finally must admit that TCL is not just another scripting language. It is a real programming language with all the benefits of a scripting language. I hate to admit it; it may be better than Java considering all the license problems and the steep learning curve. But TCL is worse than Java if you want heavy support tools like are provide by Borland or SUN. Forgetting support environments, often the only difference in many of these types of programming languages is the hype. TCL has no marketing and no hype, maybe like Don himself. But, once you learn enough about both of them, you have to appreciate the frankness and the functions provided.

The last points, I have looked at ez, uportal, Apache project, OpenCMS, etc. they do not even come close to having the same functions, support or advantages licensing that this weird group and OpenACS can offer. OpenACS could write the book on excellent support and enthusiasm. So again, actions speak louder than words. This group is full of action and honest opinions but not so good on diplomatic words.