Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ACS-JAVA + PostgreSQL

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Releasing APLAWS will be great, sure, but is it the full ACSJ 5.0 toolkit or just customizations on top of CMS and user management and similar core stuff?

That's just a small fraction of the toolkit functionality ... most folks asking whether or not ACSJ 5.0 will be finished are interested in the whole enchilada, not just the CMS package (which is a very important package, of course!)

The first announcement I saw of this also included information about Siemen's ShareNet application.  Because it was coupled with information about ACSJ a reader not familiar with ShareNet would undoubtably assume it had been moved to ACSJ rather than remaining as an ACS Tcl-based site.

In fact it made *me* wonder if it might be true, so I asked around (earlier this week) and was told, no, Siemen's ShareNet is still ACS Tcl.

As far as being diplomatic or not ... I'm just reporting what I've been told, and pointed out that I've not been following things for some time.  Things may've changed.  My information may be obsolete and inaccurate.  Maybe the APLAWS folks are so enthusiastic about ACSJ 5.0 that they've convinced RedHat that finishing it up (the whole toolkit not just CMS and related slices) is a good thing to do.

If so, that would be great.  The more open source toolkits the merrier.  In fact if APLAWS is released under the GPL we may well want to take a close look at the CMS UI, because Ars Digita worked hard to revamp it after getting so many negative comments about the CMS UI in ACS 4 Tcl and I'm sure we could pick up some very good ideas from their effort.

I've not been posting the names of who have told me what because, while no one has asked me not to use their names, no one has told me it is OK to use there names.