Forum OpenACS Development: new admin functions (+UI) for bulletin board

I have been working on some functions we need for a roll-out on one of my projects. These are administration functions for the ACS4 bulletin board application.

Basically, they address the following questions/requirements:

For the bboard user:

• What forums do I have access to?
  • What forums am I subscribed to?
  • When I post, who will get the note automatically?
  • When I post, who can see what I have written?

For the bboard administrator:

• The same user questions above, plus:
  • Who is subscribed to forum X?
  • How can I easily remove subscriptions from forum X?
  • How can I pre-subscribe someone to a forum? (Note: this is a type of spam)
  • How can I easily add subscriptions to forum Y?

My first draft documentation about the motivations/design/code, etc. is stored here. I am interested in any comments.

I can post or send the code if requested. Unfortunately, it will not work with the new OACS 4.5 beta out-of-the-box (although I surmise the customizations to be minimal). I expect to go to the 4.5 version in the next couple of months. At that time, I will convert this code. I am posting it now to prompt design discussions concerning bboard, administration, UI, permissions, et.al.

Regards..

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
</i>
I think these are some interesting enhancements.  Obviously they're not going to make it into our OACS 4.5 tree as we're too close to release, but these seem like reasonable enhancements to consider for the "next round".

Note that Open Force has also been whacking at bboard functionality, including the user's ability to fine-tune alerts and all that, as part of their work on dotLRN.

And they're supposed to do some cleaning up of the internals, too.

So something like a future mind-meld of bboard enhancements is probably called for.

I am interested to learn about their changes. Are they documented somewhere that I can see?

Regards..