Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Jabber is already integrated in dotlrn?

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Forgive me for a non nerd question. Is there no simple way to create a jabber integration within OACS in the same fashion the folks at Google managed to achieve? The reason I am asking is that the simplicity of GoogleTalk is great, yet, In many circumstances it's not an option to use a public chat service, so having it within you own domain is better. I feel to have an OACS Talk, will greatly help promoting the toolkit, after using Googletalk for a few days.

For once it would be a major enhancement to the "Members currently online" function, as that message itself is prety useless if you can't hit a button/username and communicate!! Many community systems offer the members online, but none, as far as I know, with 1-1 or many communication interface.

- Why is it so complicated to get jabber up and running? This is not a negative towards the Jabber technology, which I am sure is a great solution, but from a user point of view after all these years of development and hundreds of applications one would expect some progress in this elementary part of the service; how to get the beast started...

- What are the bottlenecks the Google folks eliminated that create the OACS minefield.

- Could it be that by installing a minimalistic jabber things work well, and that that full "Jabber Monty" is still a bridge to far?

I assume the folks that designed the jabber package got it working on their site, but if each individual install creates so much confusion we are missing something. Most packages work fine from clean install, but if Jabber still creates this mess after 2 years it has been in the package list that's not right.

Cheers
Ben
I would love it to be able to use OACS Talk, after fussing about chat ever since I walked into this comunity 😉