Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS/.LRN installer in FreeBSD ports collection

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
I just found out that openacs and dotlrn are not packaged at: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/www
The reason is that the openacs and dotlrn ports depend on daemontools which is nonpackageable due to license restrictions.

This means pkg_add -r openacs won't work and installing openacs just won't be a 10 min experience but a 60 min experience, since you'll have to use the port instead of the package. If needed, I can change the port to make it packageable on freebsd.org. As I said it is a license issue and building a package on a local station works as expected (but add daemontools as port not as package).

A workaround for a (major) decrease of installation time:
pkg_add -r bash
pkg_add -r readline
pkg_add -r aolserver-openacs-pg
pkg_add -r tdom
pkg_add -r tclwebtest
cd /usr/ports/www/openacs (or openacs-dotlrn)
make install

There are 2 other things to be aware of:

1. There can always be bugs/enhancements that haven't made it into the port yet. All of FreeBSD's problem reports are listed at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi
  2. The port will drop the database and (re)creates an empty one. Eventhough there is a major warning to backup and do a pg_dump, I think I'll make dropping the database interactive in the future. For now, you can comment out the dropdb/dropuser statements in ./files/pkg-install.in if you want to.