Forum OpenACS Q&A: Framework Comparisons

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
After a long haitus of posting here, I am looking for some opinions. I am no longer doing anything software related, but still have my personal sites and a few client sites that I still maintain. All OACS.

I hear lots of buzz in the web world about ruby on rails. I have looked at it, the marketing looks extremely interesting. I have no desire at all to learn yet another language, but would consider it if it is all it is hyped to be.

OACS, which I know pretty intimatly along with TCL is where I would like to stay. Several things have changed that make me wonder though.

As a web framework, I would hope that OACS is a crap load more stable and feature rich than anything ruby. OO is an interesting concept ( I still remember how disappointed I was with Zortech C++), but I haven't found it worthwhile in practice. That brings me to XOTcl.

I like the fact that it seems that OACS will adopt XOtcl, but it almost seems like a hack on top of a relational model. I do think that new development should be able to take advantage of the OO aspects, but that remains to be seen.

My interests now are basically simple web sites with simple ecommerce. I don't mean simple in the terms of features only in maintenance. Ecommerce is basically the same package we were using at AD way back in the day. It works, but it certainly is showing its age.

My main interest is refactoring or rewriting ecommerce to be much more modular and user/graphic artist configurable. There are some very ackward things and others that are just plain wrong, so I don't have much interest in updating the current version.

So anyone have any experience with the XO or Ruby frameworks and what would I gain or lose by abandoning OACS for my ecommerce site?

Sorry for the rambling post, this has been brewing in my head for several weeks.

OT - I will be in Vancouver WA 9/11/05 - 9/13/05 if anyone wants to meet at the Rogue Public House. (Beer/Wine making are my new businesses, so I ain't no amatuer beer dude).