Forum OpenACS Q&A: File Storage in dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on

In dotLRN, is it possible (using the admin interface, not programming) to...

• Delete the default folders in a particular class instance?
  • Change the names on the default folders?
  • Change the default folders that are created for new classes, communities, or subgroups?
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
yes, you can delete/change folders. The default list of folders is a parameter of the dotlrn-fs package, so at installation time you can change it.
Collapse
It would be nice to allow admins to do this from a web interface.
At the very least, professors ought to be able to delete (or hide)
folders that they don't want in their own class file storage.

When it comes to setting up usable online classes, being able
to get rid of extra stuff is at least as important as being able to
add whizzy new features.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
I'm sorry if I didn't make things clear:

- yes, a professor for a class can manage the folders for that class using the web interface

- a site wide admin can use the APM web interface to change the parameter for default folders created at class creation time. This can be changed after installation, too, it just won't affect the classes that have already been created.

- the goal is definitely to make this as flexible as possible. Our focus has been a lean, mean, massively configurable basic framework.

Collapse
OK, I must be dense then, because I can't find any way for a
professor to delete the default folders from a particular class
instance. What am I missing?
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
if you click on the folder and end up in the file-storage package, you should have the "delete folder" link. Yon just told me that there was a bug in file-storage that was preventing this link from appearing. Interestingly enough, he also informs me that he *just* fixed this bug in file-storage and committed it... You should be able to update file-storage and be all set :)
Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
It would also be useful and important to allow group admins to edit folder names on new folders (say they misspell a folder name when creating it) or change the names of the default folders (rather than deleting them and creating new ones.