Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Summary of the Sloan - Berklee dotLRN meeting

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
First of all, my post probably comes across as sounding more harsh than I meant it to be.  I appreciate the information in Caroline's original note and the fact that Sloan has hired her to, in part, communicate with the community.

Let me think some more about the actual message I'm trying to convey and I'll post more tomorrow.  The basic issue boils down to the fact that we've got a bunch of companies, Sloan, Berklee who are all starting to run with the code base, implementing important projects right-and-left.  I'm in the midst of such an effort myself.

Last year it felt like there was real focus on getting our code base solid enough that folks could build industrial-strength sites on it.  The community of hackers here were marching in one direction.  Now it's like Brownian motion ... things just seem ... relatively uncoordinated.

The basic question, then, is how do we focus on making sure the underlying code infrastructure moves in a well-defined direction that dovetails with the plans of others?  Or at least move to a space where those of us involved with building pieces that are generalized enough to fold back into the toolkit are able to coordinate with each other?

Anyway ... let me sleep on this and I'll try to coalesce my somewhat vague thoughts into something more concrete.

I very much appreciate the work that Sloan's sponsored, I think you folks know that.  I hope there's no doubt about that.