Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Gratuitous use of acs_objects?

Collapse
Posted by Yonatan Feldman on
i think we are converging on some good ideas an solutions here.

definately there are some packages that abuse acs_objects and permissions. the current survey package is an example of abuse of acs_objects, and bboard is an example of abuse of permissions. something i think would help OACS a lot is better guidelines for application developers as to what to make an acs_object and when/where to use permissions. (note i am not offering myself as the author of these guidelines, i hate writing and am not good at it)

i think the suggestion of having a subclass of acs_objects for permissioned objects is interesting. we could still write general services for acs_objects that would be inherited by all, while making a leaner, meaner, permissions infrastructure. i think this would help ease peoples concerns about performance of the permissions system given that the set of permissioned_objects would reduce in size drastically. for example, even if acs_rels remained acs_objects, i don't see a need for them to be permissioned_objects. this alone would reduce the number of permissioned rows drastically.

i agree with don that the object_type system needs help. there are a lot of gratuitous constraints and limitations on the acs_object_types table itself. this makes development a pain. i was supposed to test a "loosened up" version of acs_object_types but have not had time to do it. if i get to it i will post my findings, if anyone else feels up to the task of doing this, post here and i will post my suggestions, i know don has some too.

i am a big advocate for a leaner content-repository. lets just say that there were many heated arguments about this at aD and i think the wrong side got their way :). as everyone else has said, CR should just be a storage system, ideally just a table and api. yes one table. it would containt id, title, content_type, content_locale, and content. i might be forgetting one or two i haven't thought about this in a while. all the other services provided by the current CR should be built on top of this. it shouldn't be the case that all content i store HAS to be versioned. this just doesn't make sense. i know this is a pretty deep change but i think people here aren't averse to change and also see the benefit in this.

concretely, i would like to see these things fixed for OACS 4.6 but i think that might be too much.

ok, that's about as much as i can write in one sitting, i don't have the stamina that don and lars do. btw, i would participate in these forums a lot more often if i could reply to them via email, i HATE this interface.