Forum OpenACS Development: Response to new bboard package

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
In my opinion each post must be an object but maybe it might not be a cr_item.  But then doesn't CR has some kind of a categorization?  Maybe putting each post in the CR might not be bad at all.  As stated above it would be great to get all items, post, files, faq, messages that is in a particular category.  Puting the posts and items on the CR would be one way of doing it.  Since cr_items already have a tree_sortkey why not make use of it?

Granted that each post is not in the CR will the attach files (bboard v.4 feature) be in the CR?  Or will the attach file reside somewhere else.

Now that I have heard of making a forum a package I think its a sound idea.

I think I have given more questions than opinions, maybe the real problem lies to the fact that each package uses the OpenACS core differently.  A design guide I think must be made on how to make packages.  Since aDers also suffered from this problem wherein each package has a unique way of dealing with things we are also suffering from this too.  Maybe creating a design guide maybe will help us in our decisions, when to use objects, when to use CR, etc.  What do you guys think?