Forum OpenACS Development: Response to new bboard package

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
some more thoughts and clarifications:

- not sure I read this correctly in the comment above by Jun, but each forum is *not* a package. A forum is scoped to a package. I was basically refering to the fact that current bboard v4 is not completely correctly package-scoped (half-scoped stuff is about as annoying as can be), which makes multi-instantiation of bboard difficult.

- categorization: I see, in theory, the use of a central categorization scheme. Often, however, the categories only make sense inside a particular forum. For example, inside the OpenACS 4.x forum, we might have the categories "design", "backwards compatibility", "sample code", "documentation". These categories are pretty specific to OpenACS 4.x and wouldn't apply to say, photography if we also had a discussion forum about that. Michael - and others - maybe you've already thought about / solved this problem?

- anchor tags: great idea. And not that hard to implement at all.

- CR and versioning: there's one good point here - if we allow editing of posts, we *must* allow versioning, and actually, we should technically allow users to view old versions of posts (otherwise the stream of discussion might make no sense and make someone look like a fool for responding to an issue that is no longer there). How do people feel about this editing issue? It seems to bring up far more problems than it solves....