Forum OpenACS Development: Response to new bboard package

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
- making CR less overkill: I agree completely. I was thinking that attachments to postings would definitely remain CR items, since there are fewer of them and they do greatly benefit from the file-storage vs. DB abstraction, but I was wondering about the text postings themselves....

- categories: so, getting to this global namespace requires building a taxonomy for your site, which is a big deal. I want to find a solution that doesn't impose too much on the user. Maybe a generic categorization scheme (as discussed in a different thread) that supports local or global taxonomies. That said, I obviously want to keep things simple for now, with an eye towards future enhancements.

- editing: the issue is not so much performance as it is usability: I don't know of many other bboard systems that allow editing. Not because it's hard, but because it completely breaks the flow of conversation. If you write a message on May 10th, and I respond on May 11th, and then you edit your message on May 12th, then whether you change the posting date to May 12th or leave it to May 10th, chances are my response makes no sense. However, if you simply allow someone to post a new correction on May 12th, then it all makes sense. That's the real issue, IMO.