Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Gratuitous use of acs_objects?

Collapse
Posted by Yonatan Feldman on
dan: i don't see a need for each acs_rel row to be an acs_object. there is no need for it to be permissioned, categorized, etc.

i don't think the problems of CR are bieng exaggerated. the size and convolutedness of its api reflect the underlying code and data model. it is hard to learn and use. it makes you jump through hoops to store a simple image in the system.

to store an item in the current CR i have to create cr_items and cr_revisions, and if i don't care about revisions i still have to do this. this doesn't make sense.

instead of making a CR-lite interface to CR-mamoth, i would rather make CR lite as it should be and add the other CR services, such as versioning on top of it.

stephen: having core services used by everyone is great, but forcing app developers to use core services they don't want or need is not great. so always pushing down is not a good idea, you may want to layer core services instead. having simple acs_objects is good. forcing everyone to have versioning, permissioning, categorization, search on every object they create is not good, it doesn't make sense.

i like lars' idea of interfaces. it allows us to create objects that can add each of these services independently.