Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Watch Don toss bone to Win32 lovers

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Everyone should pay close attention to what Jamie's saying. At least what I think he's saying ...

Which is that he's got AOLserver already working natively under Windows. If he builds an installer, too ... watch out, folks, your dreams have come true. We're gonna make you do something with your dreams, Michael!

Now it appears that the PG group isn't very interested in a native Windows port after all, being satisfied with the Cygwin version because it seems to work well. The problem with native Windows ports is that those who've gotten it to work have had to chop things up a bit, adding a lot of conditional code in quite a few areas. This makes maintainability an issue. Some folks have made easier-to-install packages of PG/Cygwin but as Jamie says it's not really difficult to install.

The technical problem with Windows is that they don't support a lightweight process creation mechanism (ala what in some unices in the dim past was vfork). Since PG depends on process creation rather than threads this is a hassle. There are other issues, too, but this seemed to be the big one.

I only followed the discussion sporadically as it was getting a couple dozen posts a day at its height, so don't take my word as gospel truth. Read the PG hacker archives if you care deeply.

But Jamie's good news makes up for the PG news, no?