Posted by Don Baccus on
Just thought I'd release an update since it's clear I didn't release
yesterday.

OpenMSG has informed me that they think they may have a few days
available next week to test a tarball before release.  I'm waiting for
Simon to get back to me to confirm this.  I'd feel more confortable
releasing something that's undergone a little more testing since I
don't have time myself.  They'd restrict themselves to making sure
packages install and mount and appear to at least minimally work.

Also Open Force has offered to do some "smoke testing" of installs.

Vinod Kurup did some last-minute polishing and I've applied a few bug
patches that looked fairly important (I'm delaying on more minor ones
until later, they'll go in 4.6).

So ... that's the status.  If OpenMSG confirms they'll have time
available next week I'll cut our proposed release tarball and let them
test away (and OF, too, but I know they're extremely busy with
dotLRN).  That tarball will then (knock wood) become our release
tarball as soon as OpenMSG/Open Force tell me it's OK.

Collapse
Posted by Marc Fournier on
Don, if it would be of any help, I can provide a virtual machine for such testing ...
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Thanks for the offer, Marc, I really appreciate it.  I think in this case we're covered as OpenMSG and Open Force both have server resources available, but I'll certainly keep this in mind for the future.

Or Simon Millward will ... he's been our test organizer and has worked to get server resources available for folks.

Again ... thanks.

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Confirmed. As promised I can make a few man days available next week for this purpose. If you can get the tarball ready prior to Monday morning (GMT) we can get cracking then. I have an updgrade project so that times nicely for the Oracle version... We'll then do as much of the pG version as we have time left for... hope that helps
Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Marc, I'll mail you off-list on this one, but if you can make some spare resources available in future, that would be great.

Quite a few people I think, are put off doing testing due to time/expertise and resource constraints. If we can offer a small space where people could test something thats ready installed... that's ideal.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Don,

I know you are very busy. But, would it be possible to have the status file upodated. It is the same since Octobver last year, and for people who is not in the evryday OACS universe, even for those that are, it is not clear the status of each package...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yes, I know I've dropped the ball on the status sheet.  I did that when we moved from a state of active porting to a state of performance enhancement, bug fixing, etc.

What we really need is a summary of the state of individual packages for the release.  Most of them are best described as "need overhaul, but work".  It's actually impressive as to how well most of them work considering how badly most of them need an overhaul ...