Forum OpenACS Development: Response to notifications - is there a need for a new package?

Do you think it makes sense to have the frequency of notifications adjustable on a per notification request basis, as opposed to on a party-wide basis? And also to have the combination of frequencies totally flexible within each request? That is, should one for example be able to batch notifications from threads A, B and C, and also be able to have immediate notifications from thread B (so effectively being notified more than once of the same object)?

Should the definition of frequencies be flexible, or should they be fixed to like daily-, weekly- and monthly summary?

I'm very interested in this, as I'm working on a package that is about nothing but notifications. It is supposed to monitor various categories at various related websites for additions of new material, users will be able to subscribe to the various categories and choose any combination of (fixed) notification intervals they like for each category.

Since I saw this thread, I've been wondering if my package might be an ideal contractor of the Notifications package? Before, I had been planning to hack up something specific for this package (Pind's Rule of Five comes to mind). But it sounds good to not have to "slap your forehead when you note that you've reimplemented bboard notifications".

If you think I'd be doing right by contracting the Notifications package, and if you think a newbie oacs package developer can be of any help, then I'm all for it, if for nothing more than testing.