Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Trying to catch up....Help?

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Terenzio on
For what it is worth:

When I first saw Philip Greenspun speak some years back I knew little more than HTML. I now feel pretty comfortable building db- backed web apps. In fact, it has become my profession. I've been following ACS/OACS the whole time and it seems to me to be the best of its kind(if there is another of its kind). The developers are the most intelligent and helpful bunch on the web. I owe much of what I've learned to them.

Now the bad part.

I haven't nearly been able to take full advantage of OACS.
Why is this?
Lack of tutorials, I guess.
I still don't know how to practically use some of the OACS main features. Installation guides have been great. A few others here and there.
Maybe there should be a practical application forum.
I know most everyone has been busy with the port and further development. But the more people who gain a deeper understanding of the system, the more developers will be able to help. I for one can't wait until the day I contribute a fix or a module.
I know its not a popularity contest. Maybe we don't want a ton of developers interested in  the project.
But I do find it nice to be able to search google and find an example script with some other languages and servers. If I could do that for AOLserver/TCL/OACS I'd probably give the others up.
Too bad I missed those Boot camps. . .